Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Start your day the healthy way! (with breakfast sammies and mochas??)

"Never work before breakfast; if you have to work before breakfast, eat your breakfast first.  ~Josh Billings"


I was never one who liked to eat breakfast bc sleep was always going to win over anything, including showering, sorry people. But honestly, I know it's the most important meal of the day, so for the last several years I always eat something wether it be yogurt or fruit. But when I REALLY want breakfast there's nothing I love more than a good old fashioned Sausage McMuffin from McDonalds. However do you know how awful they are for you, just that little sandwich alone, without the greasy hashbrown and juice?? When I was on Weight Watchers I found out that just the sandwich alone was almost more than I could eat for an ENTIRE day! This little fact has kept me McDonalds free for 5 years now, yuck and halleljuah! There's also nothing better I like in the morning than a nice cup of coffee. Even better a delicious mocha, but theres HOW many calories in that and you want me to give you $5 for a little baby cup?? No thank you. Through great foodie minded people I have recently discovered the quick, easy, delicious way of getting my breakfast and mocha in under 5 minutes. It take some prep work but it'll save you time in the long run, 1,000s of calories and keep that money in your pocket! So here's my breakfast combo recipe of the day for you my dear friends: Healthy Breakfast Sammies w/an iced mocha!


 Make-Ahead Breakfast Sandwiches:





You will need:
Glad Press n Seal
Big freezer baggie
Reynolds tin baking cups

Ingredients:
12 100 calorie english muffins (the fiber is what helps make this sandwich healthy)
12 total of a variety of Morningstar sausage patties, canadian bacon, turkey bacon (pre cook)
12 eggs
12 kraft singles

Cook meat ahead of time. Spray 12 reynolds tin baking cups w/pam. crack one egg into each tin. Place in shallow pan of boiling water (this process will take a while-as you can only fit about 4 tins in each pan without them tipping). Cook until the yolk is firm. Halve the english muffins and lay them out to assemble the sammies. place one slice of cheese on one half of each muffin. Assemble as you would any other sandwich with meat then egg.

*note: for the Morningstar sausage patties I cut them in 1/2 and evenly layed both in each sandwich, to make it easier to eat and not so big.

Wrap in Press n Seal and Store in a big bag in your freezer. Take out of freezer the night before and place in the fridge. Ive found this the easiest way to re-heat it evenly.

They are delicious,, easy and way better for you than stopping somewhere on your way to work!

Iced Mocha:



* this is my mocha in a Starbucks cup


Ingredients:
2-4 cups of strong coffee
1 tablespoon agave natural sweetner or maple syrup
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
ice

I like to make the coffee ahead of time, like the night before (easily store in a pitcher), as you will find if you make it the day of the ice will just melt and water down your coffee. so in your mug mix the cocoa and sweetner fill mug with ice. Pour the coffee over the ice, stir and voila! Instant healthy mocha!

I hope you guys enjoy these recipes. As I start my school year soon I want to start it off right. I know these recipes will come in handy so Im not spending so much money at Starbucks, its good for me and most importantly I get to SLEEP MORE! Happy trails my friends! :0)

Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity.  ~Voltaire

No comments:

Post a Comment