Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Buy bulk. Portion yourself. Save big bucks.

If anyone knows anything about me they know I 1) love to cook 2) LOVE saving money 3) i like convenience!! There's a few simple steps I take to save myself money when it comes to food and today I'll share some of my secrets with you. Especially when it comes to eating healthier, portion control is a MUST. If theres one thing I could share with you about dieting in my 26 years it is that DIETS DONT WORK. Lifestyle changes however are the key steps to losing and keeping off weight. It's ALL about portion control. I know that for the most part I don't need to give up any of the foods I love, but take everything in moderation. I'm always craving pizza! Always. Does that mean I have to give that up when eating healthy? of course not. I simply eat a salad beforehand and eat 1-2 pieces or I make flatbread/english muffin pizzas and still satisfy my craving for pizza.

So heres where I get into the actual act of portions and the money you save. The stores are always going to get you with their cute little portioned out just for one servings of things. But theyre getting you in TWO ways. A) bc of packaging you pay that extra cost for convienence  B) sometimes you eat it and dont realize that whats in the package is actually more than one serving which throws off all your hard work to loose weight.

One of my favorite "desserts" on following the Weight Watchers is jello fruit cups. Well I could go to the store and buy some...Do you know how many come in a 90 calorie each, 26carbs, 50g of sodium almost $4? 2-4 cups!! So I came up with a different idea to get much more for my money....

Glad ware containers (1 time price) $4 for 12
Jello .69/each
fruit $1.06/each

GRAND TOTAL: $7.50- 12 cups of jello w/fruit with only 50 calories a container
subtract the $4 from gladware containers for next time $3.50 for 12 cups of homemade, healthier jello.



I could go on and on about buying in bulk and repackaging, but for now I'll just leave you with this simple tip. Until next time my friends! BULK. SELF PORTION. SAVE BIG BUCKS.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment