Sunday, May 25, 2014

Wakey Wakey it's time for Egg Bake...ey!

Who doesn't love a killer egg bake? You typically can prep the night before, or throw it in the crock making your Sunday morning breakfast easy peasy. I've always had a hard time eating breakfast, I'm just not hungry right when I get up, plus sleep is just so much better. So egg bake is perfect for me, because egg bakes usually range from 45 minutes to an hour. The perfect amount of time to throw it in, sleep just a little longer, make coffee or get a quick walk in while it bakes and you work up an appetite. My favorite thing in egg bake is green chilies. Even when I was the pickiest eater ever, I always loved whatever those, slimy, mildly spicy green things were. So I have faith, that even if you have picky eaters, they might not even notice. Just don't show them the recipe ;-)

Last month I posted my first ever made-it-up-myself crock pot egg bake. Today was a new, didn't browse recipes to make one up. It was all my pretty little cooking mind! I'm very impressed with myself that for you, I kept track, took mental pictures and actually created a RECIPE! I'm so bad at actual recipes. I'm much more a little a this, a little of that, however much you want kinda girl!

So here it is!





Sunday Sunrise Egg Bake

10 eggs
1 1/2 cups spinach, chopped
1 small can green chilies
1/2 bag frozen shredded hashbrowns
4-5 thins slices deli ham
1/2 cup real bacon bits, split
1/4 cup milk
1 cup shredded gouda
1 cup colby jack cheese
1 1/2 tsp salt and pepper, each 

Preheat oven to 375. 
Grease 9X13 pan with cooking spray. Spread frozen hashbrowns evenly on bottom of pan. Sprinkle 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper over top of hashbrowns. THIS IS KEY. Even if you add salt and pepper to the top of the egg bake, the hashbrowns will still taste bland at the bottom. Layer 1/2 the chilies, sprinkle gouda. Cover with the slices of deli ham. Finish off with the rest of the chilies, 1/2 cup colby jack cheese and 1/4 cup bacon bits. Beat eggs, milk, spinach and remaining salt/pepper. Pour over the pan of ingredients. Bake for 35 minutes, uncovered. Remove from oven, top with remaining colby jack cheese and bacon bits. Bake for 10 more minutes, until the egg had settled completely and the cheese gets yummy brown.
Enjoy!

I'm scolding the man of the house as I type, I swear he ate HALF THE PAN...so I guess there's your confirmation that I made a good one!




Happy assembling, baking and eating! :-)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment