Sunday, May 4, 2014

Rise and Shine it's crock-pot breakfast time!

Ever wake up hungry but have like ZERO interest or time to cook and just wish breakfast would wake you up?? 
Well have no fear because crock-pot breakfast is here!

I've got two recipes for you this evening that could help start your day off right tomorrow! 

I've never been a fan of oatmeal. ever. the texture has to be the most disgusting thing in the world, besides mushrooms of course. But why on earth would someone enjoy eating MUSH for breakfast?! Trev was the first one to introduce me to steel cut oats. He told me it was thicker than oatmeal so that I should give it a try. The first time I ate it, meh, okay, BETTER than oatmeal but no yummy big deal. Then one day I was browsing through Pinterest and I found a recipe, for Apple Pie Breakfast. oats. cinnamon. apples. How could you go wrong waking up to the smell of that deliciousness?? Not only did it take two seconds to put in the crock pot the night before but the intoxicating smell when I woke up was enough to make me think I died and went to Heaven. When I ate it I realized, yep, Heaven.
Hot, Chunky, cinnamon applesauce Heaven.

Here's that recipe...

Apple Pie Breakfast

3 cups steel cut oats
3 cups light apple juice (cider might kick it up a notch)
3 apples of your choice, I used gala
2 Tablespoons cinnamon

Set crockpot on low for 8 hours. Wake up to the gloriousness and enjoy!

My second recipe is an egg bake, but cooks overnight in your crock. I'm not a big breakfast eater, but when I eat it I want the good stuff. I want eggs, I want bacon, I want hot sauce, I want. IT. ALL.



 Crockpot Breakfast Casserole

30 oz. shredded hashbrowns
3/4 lb crumbled breakfast sausage, browned
1/2 jar Hormel Real Bacon Pieces (I always sub bacon with these as they are WAY lower on the fat and don't have to cook it!)
2 cups cheese of your choice
12 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt 
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups spinach
1 small can green chillies

I layered the ingredients about three times. The first time I ever attempted to make a egg bake in the crock, I found it to be dry and not enough salt and pepper. I'm not someone who likes a lot of salt either, so for me to think it was bland well...so you might even add more than the salt it calls for. I also think it was dry because you just layered one ingredient on top of the other without mixing, so mix well. plus who doesn't want all the yummy ingredients in each bite? helllllo! 

Spray the crock with non-stick spray. layer 1/3 the hasbrowns at the bottom. sprinkle 1/3 sausage/bacon bits, then 1/3 of the cheese. In between each of these layers I snuck in the spinach and green chillies. repeat with two more layers. 
In large mixing bowl whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper, then pour that mixture over the casserole in the pot. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours. This recipe made enough for the two of us to have breakfast for about a week and a half. Perfect for brunch, bridal showers orrrrr a week and a half of breakfast each day ;-)



Happy Cooking!! :-)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment