Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Chinese "Takeout" Gluten Free and Guilt Free

When I was thinking about what I wanted to make for Playoff food tonight I wanted something different. Typically we'd go the "bar food" route, but when I saw a recipe for Fried Rice on Pinterest I knew.

CHINESE!

One of Trevor's favorite places to go out to eat is Egg Roll King. It's cheap, its yummy and they give you A LOT of food. We tried going there once after we discovered Trevor needed to change to a gluten free lifestyle and while I thought it was still great, I think he felt it wasn't the same anymore. They cooked his favorite, orange chicken, for us using corn starch instead of flour to make it gf. However we usually go for the noodles with it and those don't have a substitution. 

I felt like these recipes would require a lot more work than normal, but really it was SO SIMPLE, yes, probably even for the not so kitchen friendly. I also thought I'm never going to get it to LOOK like actual Chinese food, but I did and if I do say myself it looked MORE appetizing. I started to prep at around 7pm and by 7:45 it was being devoured. :-)






 
 The "Fried" Rice Recipe went like this:

(and yes, I cheated, 90 second rice baby. I don't know about you but 30 minutes to cook rice? I don't have the time, or patience. So get over yourself...)

2 Packages Uncle Bens white rice (the 90 sec micro pacs)
1 small bag Market Pantry Mixed veggies (I removed the beans)
2 eggs
4 Tbsp GF Soy Sauce 
1 drizzle Sesame Oil (not necessary but I think it added something)

Heat sesame Oil in pan. add frozen veggies and cook until warm. Crack in two eggs, mix quickly as you'll want to break up the egg into small pieces. Once cooked, add the rice. Toss with soy sauce and drizzle sesame oil to finish.




Gluten Free Orange Chicken:

2 Packages Chicken Breast Tenders (I used Bare chicken, there's really no comparison)
1 Cup Gluten Free Flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
juice of 3-4 Oranges
2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
4 Tbsp Ketchup
4 Tbsp Brown sugar

Cut the chicken into cubes. I cut them into all sorts of shapes and sizes to try and make it look more like the takeout chicken. Mix together flour, salt and pepper. Toss chicken in bowl and coat with flour.  Brown chicken in a skillet with oil, I would imagine vegetable oil is normally used but all I had is EVOO, so that's what I used. 4 minutes on each side, at least, I like to cook mine a little more just to be sure it's cooked. 

While chicken is browning, mix together orange juice, vinegar, ketchup and brown sugar. 

Once chicken is done add wet mixture to chicken, be careful as you put it into the skillet because it WILL splatter. Simmer for no more than 3 minutes as the sauce thickens quick. Remove from heat and Enjoy!



Happy Cooking! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment