Saturday, September 20, 2014

Frittata? I get it from my mama...

If you know my mother, you know she loves a good frittata. When she first started making them we said a what huh huh? and called her a fancy pants. But really, it's not all that fancy, I mean it CAN be, just toss in a little pancetta instead of ham and BOOM. fancy. ;-)

As many of you may ALSO know, I don't give up my sleep for any regular old breakfast. I want to sleep forever and ever for every. last. second. Most days you can't even tell I chose sleep over showering. SO, if Im gonna get up to have breakfast I want BREaaaaaKfast (said in a fake strong southern twang as my boyfriend loves to say). I feel like for people with a gluten intolerance breakfast is the easiest time of the day to figure out. Egg bakes can be made without bread, or subbed with gf bread, A good amount of cereal is gf (let's hear it for the best Chocolate Chex!) There are options and LOTS of them. Last night I thought, I'm gonna get up early (don't remind me of the agony) and make breakfast for me, Trev and some lucky co-workers. So I braved the morning storm, got up at SIX THIRTY am and whipped up some utter deliciousness. Here it is:

 



Broccoli/Pancetta Frittata

1 1/2 cup broccoli
1 tsp thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
8 large eggs
1/4 cup parm cheese (I think next time I'll use gouda to kick it up a notch)
olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
1 1/2 ounces pancetta, chopped
olive oil, as needed

I bought the broccoli already cut up in a bag. To make it super quick steam the broccoli in the microwave for 2 minutes. If it needs to be diced finer, do so. drizzle olive oil in 10 inch oven safe pan. sweat out the onion until your desired texture. I detest onion but if it's cooked correctly, it's great, and in the recipe it really gave it that something extra. Add pancetta to the pan with the onion. Cook 4 minutes or until crisp. I covered the bottom of the pan evenly with the pancetta/onion mix. combine thyme, s&p, eggs and cheese in bowl, whisk. Pour over your pan of pancetta and onion. cook on medium heat for 3 minutes and transfer into the oven at 350 for 12 minutes or until the center is cooked. MAKE SURE: you have your oven mitt on before grabbing the pan handle out of the oven!!! I speak from personal (inexperience) several years ago. It hurts. Like way bad.

Enjoy!

*To give it a little something more next time I would add hot sauce or salsa. Everything's better with salsa.

Happy Cooking!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment