Monday, June 16, 2014

I'm not a player, I just Squash a lot...

Alright well, it's happened, I've become squash obsessed. First it was margarita, then it was lasagna style. Both I thought were amazing, until I made Buffalo Chicken and Chicken Sausage/Kale. 

In the words of my sweet Trevor Hamilton, "uhhhh, this is one of the best things I've ever eaten..."





If you don't like buffalo chicken there is seriously something wrong with you, seriously, you might wanna get checked out. This recipe is so ridiculously good and I thought it was even better warmed up! I'm hoping to someday trick my spicy food loving eldest nanny girl, whose a seriously picky eater, into eating this recipe. I'll just have to dish it up in a big bowl instead. So if you've eaten my buffalo chicken dip, and you are as obsessed as I am, this recipes for YOU:

Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash 

1 lb. chicken breast, boiled and finely chopped (I used my Pampered Chef food chopper to get it the perfect size and consistency)
1/2 package nefcheutel cream cheese
1/2 cup Franks Hot Sauce
1/2 cup light ranch dressing
1 spaghetti squash

Start by preheating the oven to 375. cut squash in half, seed and drizzle with olive oil. Flip open side down to cook. Cook for 45 minutes. 

30 minutes into baking, place cream cheese in pan, melt. Stir in franks and ranch dressing. When it's all blended nicely, mix in cooked chicken pieces. 

Once cooled, grab a fork and rake the squash, so it starts to pull up just like spaghetti. Add "spaghetti" to pan of sauce and mix well. Fill Squash skin back up with the mixture, top with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and parsley, broil on high for 5 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. 
Enjoy!

The next recipe I found a link to on one of my friend's facebook pages. I made a few adjustments to the recipe. Including my own tastebuds. I hate onion. Like A LOT. But since caramalelizing onions I've become more tolerant of them in my food. 

Cheese Lover Cook's Note: I went awww man no cheese when I was making it. But honestly, I sincerely think adding cheese would have wrecked it. Sounds weird, I KNOW, but really it doesn't need cheese.



Sausage/Kale Spaghetti Squash

1 medium spaghetti squash
1 1/2 lbs italian chicken sausage, casings removed
1 yellow onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch kale
3 tbsp evoo
salt and pepper
2 tbsp parsely
optional: 1 tbsp pine nuts, roasted

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut squash in half and drizzle with olive oil, place the halves in the oven, cut side up. bake for 45-50 minutes. 

While that's in the oven, remove the center stems and tear the leaves. Brown chicken sausage, I like mine to be crumbled a little bit finer, that way you get it in every bite. Remove chicken sausage and set aside. I kept the fat from the chicken sausage and added a little evoo to the pan. Then, saute onions. Once onions are nicely soft and brown, add in garlic and lightly brown. Add the kale and stir. After 4-5 minutes add the sausage back to the pan, to help wilt the kale. 

Once the squash is out of the oven and cooled, fork squash to start the spaghettifying, yes, that's totes a word. Transfer "noodles" to the pan of sausage, kale and onions. Mix well. return to "shells" of squash and broil for 5 minutes. top with parsley and pine nuts if you so choose.

Happy Squashing!
:-)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment